We’re delighted to be representing the leading UK content producers association Pact to promote the UK China Creative Exchange – a fantastic initiative to stimulate co production with Chinese TV executives in partnership with Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) and Department for International Trade (DIT).
Supported by the Department for International Trade (DIT) and the Department for Digital, Culture Media and Sport (DCMS), the 2019 UK China Creative Exchange will see eleven executives from leading Chinese broadcasters and production companies travel the UK to co create new programming ideas with UK partners.
During the week-long programme between March 11th – 15th, each Chinese executive will visit three participating indies across the UK’s nations and regions and work to build strategic relationships and co-develop projects. There will also be facilitated kick- off and wrap-up sessions in London to aid the participants in developing joint ways of working.
Pact has selected the executives from leading broadcasters and production companies in China and all are in positions that have programming decision-making responsibility or with the potential to influence and gain access to their ideas to TV commissioners in their country. The Chinese executives are:
- Xiangdong Li, General Manager of factual content provider CCTV Documentary International Media
- Qian Zhong, Producer of national TV channel CCTV-7
- Zhou Quan, Deputy Editor in Chief of Newscenter, Shanghai Media Group
- Leland Ling, Chairman of private documentary/factual production and
syndication company LIC China
- Huang Wei, Chief Director and Executive Producer of documentary producer
Central News Records Film Group
- Ouyang Changlin, Chairman and founder, Beijing Yohou Mutual
Entertainment Culture Communication
- Weina Kong, Series Producer, Head of International Department, coproduction
documentary company CICC
- Huaqiang Wang, VP, of Shanghai Animation Films Studio
- Xu Qian, Editor, documentary channel Beijing Television Station
- Huang Lei, TV Producer, producer Atom Media
- Zhu Xianliang, Senior Executive, online video platform Bilibili
UK indies to have already signed up to the event are: Nutopia, 3DD Productions, Pioneer TV, Cloth Cat, Cwmni Da, Icon Films, Guinness World Records, Sixteen South, Pulse Films, Waddell Media, Twenty Twenty, Little Island, Lion TV, Zig Zag, Spring Films and Arrow Media.
Pact’s Director of International Strategy, Dawn McCarthy-Simpson MBE, said: “Pact has always maintained that to grow meaningful relationships in this business, there needs to be a deeper level of understanding of each other’s cultures and working practices.
“That’s why I’m delighted that the UK China Creative exchange will once again bring together producers and executives from both countries to encourage joint ways of working and innovative collaboration.
“This scheme will benefit UK indies who are looking to expand their businesses into new markets.”
This is the third edition of the UK China Creative Exchange since the signing of the UK China Television Coproduction Treaty in 2016. Over the past eight years, Pact has run several missions and attended markets in China, introducing more than 100 UK production companies to Chinese broadcasters and producers, tripling trade between participating businesses.